Benazir Bhutto: 11th Prime Minister of Pakistan
Son of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto & Nusrat Bhutto
Affiliation(s):Pakistan People Party
Born in Karachi Date: 21 June 1953
Died: 27 December 2007 (aged 54)
• Benazir became 11th Prime Minister of Pakistan in December 1988.
• In 1990, after a long political turmoil, Ghulam Ishaq Khan, the then President of Pakistan dissolved her government on charges of corruption, nepotism, and despotism.
• She lost the parliamentary elections of 1990 and began serving as leader of the opposition. Benazir remained on the post till 1993.
• Pakistan People’s Party was again elected to power in 1993 and Benazir was named the Prime Minister of state for the second time.
• In November 1996, Farooq Leghari, the then Presiden of Pakistan ended the tenure of Benazir mainly on the charges of corruption.
• She again served as leader of the opposition from 1996 to 1999.
Lady Jennings Nursery Schoo, Karachi
Convent of Jesus and Mary, Karachi
Presentation Convent High School, Rawalpindi
Convent of Jesus and Mary, Murree
Karachi Grammar School, Karchi
Radcliffe College, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, England
St Catherine’s College, Oxford, England
B.A (Hons) in Comparative Politics
International Law and Diplomacy
After the execution of her father in 1979, she was named the elected as Peoples Party’s chairwoman in 1982.
Father- Late Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Former Pakistani Politician)
Mother– Late Nusrat Bhutto (Former Pakistani- Iranian Public Figure)
Brother– Late Murtaza Bhutto (Former Pakistani Politician)